Did you know that right now there are 4,963 people in the UK currently waiting for a kidney transplant and that every single day in the UK one person will die whilst waiting for their kidney.
This has to change.
Most people don’t want to think about their kidneys, but the reality is that one in eight people will develop chronic kidney disease which can affect their general health and may ultimately mean they might need dialysis or a transplant in order to stay alive. The average time waiting for a kidney on the transplant list is three years and there are almost 30,000 people on dialysis in the UK, a treatment that leaves patients hooked up to machines for hours at a time for several days every week, which has a knock-on impact on their ability to study, work, socialise and ultimately live their lives to the full.
We speak to kidney patients every day and one of the key things they tell us is that greater awareness and understanding of kidney disease and the impact that it can have on their lives would be life changing for them.
What can you do to help?
- Learn more about kidney disease
- Check out our Top Kidney Tips
- Sign up to our newsletter to find out more about our work
- Find out how you can become one of our team of fantastic fundraisers
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook and help spread the word. We have a twitter feed, a private support group on Facebook and a public Facebook page
- Join the organ donor register and share your decision with friends and family
Kidney Care UK response to latest research...
The most genetically modified animals in existence have been created to help end a shortage of organs for t...
Kidney Care UK warning regarding organ mat...
Kidney patients urged to avoid websites claiming to be able to provide transplants