Watch the video below for a full demonstration of this recipe with Chef Paul Ripley.
Full instructions are listed below, but if you prefer you can download the recipe card (PDF).
- 4 shop bought meringues
- 300-400ml double cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 150g each of raspberries & blueberries
- 2-4 ginger nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger cordial (optional)
Raspberry sauce (optional)
- 200g frozen raspberries
- 30g caster sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Lightly whip cream to just holding its own on the spoon, but be careful not to over whip the cream.
- Gently fold in the raspberries and blueberries.
- Gently fold in the raspberry coulis, elderflower cordial & vanilla essence.
- You want a ripple effect with the raspberry coulis running through it.
- Serve with crushed ginger biscuits on top.
- Drizzle a bit of the coulis over and around. Garnish with mint.
Healthier option: For people on a weight reducing diet or wanting to reduce the amount of sugar and fat in their diets then there are various options you could choose;
- Omit the meringue and just have the fruit with cream. Single cream is lower in fat than double cream, however you can't whip single cream.
- Use half fat creme fraiche, plain low fat yoghurt or soya yoghurt in place of the cream
- Replace the sugar in the raspberry sauce with sweetener.
Fluid: Some people with kidney problems will be advised to follow a fluid restriction. If you have been advised to
reduce your fluid then please remember that cream and yoghurts should be included within your fluid allowance.
Phosphate and potassium: This recipe
Cream is relatively low in phosphate a mineral some people with kidney problems should limit. If however you would prefer to use a low fat option such as plain yoghurt we have suggested soya yoghurt as this is lower in phosphate.contains berries which contain potassium and some people with kidney problems are advised to restrict their potassium. However, blueberries are a low potassium berry and although raspberries are moderate in potassium they are lower than other berries such as strawberries.
Storage: Follow the packet instructions for storing the shop brought meringues. Refrigerate any leftover fruit and cream and use within two days.